9 Ideas for Designing a Family-Friendly Backyard
Before you know it, winter will be behind us and spring with all its beauty will be here. Of course, it also the time many parents are ready to have their kids spend more time outdoors. But, not every yard is designed to entice the kids outdoors! Sure, there is something to say for a child using their imagination, but why not do your part to encourage it?
After all, if you grew up playing in the backyard and discovering all the fun summer offers, then you know the importance of a yard that makes you want to run, slide, swing, climb or perhaps just curl up in a hammock with a good book. But with room for the kids to explore, comes a need for room for parties and get-togethers for friends of all ages.
Ideas for the Family Friendly Backyard
So, if you are looking for a way to make your backyard a space where your family comes together and the kids are excited to explore and play, now is the time to begin working with a design team and determining what features will amp up your space. Here are a few to get you started.
Especially for the Kids:
· Water Features – From a soothing koi pond to a natural area that invites turtles, frogs and other wildlife or a splash pad complete with water sprays and fountains, water elements add fun to any backyard design.
· Space Maximization – Just because you don’t have a large yard, it doesn’t mean you can’t have a fun play space. Think about swings, slides, sandboxes, seesaws, sawed off tree stumps securely placed as a walking route, balance beams, and other items that encourage exploration and adventure.
· Climbing Wall – These have become quite popular in recent years, and are great for encouraging strength building and coordination.
· Sensory Garden – Have a space that stimulates your children’s senses. Include elements such as marigolds, sunflowers, Swiss chard, sage, strawberries, and other plants that encourage them to taste, touch, and smell.
· Blackboard – Turn a fence space or wall into a blackboard, add a bucket for chalk and let your kids show off their creativity.
Especially for Dad & Mom:
· Patios, Porches, and Pergolas – You need the perfect place to unwind with a glass of something cold after a long day. Design a space that lets you relax in comfort.
· Grill – Be it a custom fire pit, a built-in grill space or an outdoor kitchen or fireplace, making the outdoors more functional for entertaining is the perfect addition to a family-friendly lawn design.
· Movie Night– Convert an area of your yard into your very own outdoor theatre. Whether you paint the side of an outbuilding or clear a space for a movie screen, the backyard movie is a winner for everyone!
· Light it up – Make it easy to make family memories by adding outdoor lighting. Be it tiny twinkling lights in the shrubbery or tree, can lights or spotlights along walkways, or rope lights along the porch banisters, lights make every space more welcoming.
Your home’s backyard is not just about the kids. Sure, you want it to be an area that encourages their imagination, but you also need a place where you can hang out with your friends, throw a steak on the grill or just escape for a few minutes. So when you plan your perfect backyard, be sure to include yourself in the fun, too.
Now is the time to start designing a family friendly backyard where the kids can play and you can relax. Contact the Outdoor Makeover Design team to get started on the perfect design.