When you have a garden fountain as part of your home’s landscape, then you already have the perfect place for relaxing and staying in touch with nature. After all, there is something peaceful about sitting by the pond or fountain and simply unwinding after long day of work or dealing with Atlanta traffic! However, as beautiful as an outdoor water feature may be, they are not completely without maintenance needs.
To keep your garden fountain or water feature that quiet get away, then be sure to include its maintenance as part of your schedule. Here are some garden fountain maintenance tips to ensure your water feature always brings you pleasure.
Garden Fountain Maintenance Tips
· Be sure to keep the water level at the proper point. Typically, the pump needs to be fully submerged in water. If it gets too low it can make a difference in how well the pump will work. Maintaining proper water levels is especially important during the summer when Georgia weather can be hot and dry.
· Protect the surface of the fountain with a sealer. Depending on the location of your pond and the type of fountain, you might need to this every few years; however, it is worth it as this will increase its lifespan and help it look beautiful for years to come.
· Take time to clean the sides of the fountain with a non-abrasive cloth. This will keep it looking shiny and prevent buildup of dirt, pollen and dust.
· Clean the garden fountain according manufacturer’s instructions. Some fountains require specific cleaning agents, so check your user’s manual before getting started.
· Don’t turn off the pump and leave it sitting in the pond or water feature for extended periods of time. This will cause corrosion and encourage algae growth. Keeping the pump running actually helps extend its life as well as help keep the water clean.
· Depending on the type of pump used for the garden fountain, you may need to periodically detach it from the fountain and place it in a solution of water and vinegar (2 parts vinegar, 1 part water). This will help clean out the lines and allow it to run more efficiently.
· Minimize the growth of algae in your fountain and pond by draining and refilling your outdoor fountain periodically. This will prevent water stagnation.
· Keep your scaled, furry and feather friends in mind when cleaning your pond, and only use agents that are eco-friendly.
· Remove any twigs, plant fragments, etc. that can get sucked into the pump and clog it. Be sure to keep weeds and excessive plant growth away from the edges of your pond.
· Pay attention to the surfaces of the fountain, if you notice any cracks, have them repaired sooner, not later. When cleaning the fountain, handle it with care so as to prevent any damage.
Garden fountains are a beautiful addition to any landscape. If you will take just a few minutes from time to time to keep it clean, then it will be a place where you will find hours of pleasure for years to come. If you have additional concerns or questions about your fountain or pond, be sure to contact the Outdoor Makeover and Construction team. We are happy to help you keep your pond and garden fountain beautiful.