Right now, the weather is cool. But any Georgian knows that when the temperatures change bringing spring, and then summer arrives, the warm (read, “hot!”) season can be difficult. And, in the metro-Atlanta region, the humidity plus heat can make living life outside unpleasant. But, there are ways you can be outside and beat the heat. Enter the pergola or gazebos.
While there are many ways you can make your landscape more inviting, favorites for many Georgia families are the addition of a pergola or a gazebo. After all, they, don’t just provide shade but offer a delightful place to entertain guests or merely sit back with a tall glass of something cool to sip.
Benefits of a Gazebo
This free-standing structure can be of any size, shape and nearly any location. Better yet, you can opt for a fully covered gazebo or partially roofed, no walls or simply low walls thus offering you whatever level of privacy you may want. Other benefits include:
- A gazebo offers a quiet space for conversation or just chilling out.
- It can be used to host a long list of activities.
- May be designed as a kitchen area or a covered space for a hot tub.
- Adds value to your home.
- Can be used year-round.
- Makes a great focal point for your garden(s) or landscape design.
Benefits of a Pergola
A pergola differs from a gazebo in that it has a more open roof- typically created by a framework of beams -and are often attached to a home or other structure. They might also have pillars or latticework making them perfect for climbing plants. Flooring for a pergola can be brick, concrete pavers, or decking, depending on your style. Reasons for having a pergola built include:
- They can be built to match your architectural style and preference.
- A pergola provides a defined space for outdoor activities.
- They are affordable but have a big impact on your landscape’s aesthetics.
- You can extend your gardening area by hanging flower pots to the beams.
- You can dress them up easily by weaving cloth through the beams to create a specific atmosphere.
- They are low maintenance and durable.
- Although they do not have a solid roof, a pergola still provides a significant amount of shade.
- Adds as much as 20% to your home’s resale value.
So, have you looked around your landscape and found it lacking in entertainment areas? Maybe, you need a place to get out of the heat while still enjoying nature? If so, then a pergola or gazebo is a great place to start. They can be built according to the space available, and customized to suit your needs and style. More so, pergolas and gazebos are a practical use of space, while still leaving you plenty of lawn for games, gardening or just grilling out with friends and family.
If you think that a pergola or gazebo is the perfect addition to your landscape, then don’t wait until the summer weather arrives. Contact the Outdoor Makeover & Living Spaces team today. We can assess your landscape and determine what will best work for your space.