Even though we have had a cool start to the spring, hot weather is just around the corner! In a few weeks when summer arrives, the weather will get very hot. In the Atlanta region, humidity and heat can make outdoor living unpleasant. When it comes to beating the Georgia heat, landscape elements can truly help. Enter the pergola and gazebo.
While there are many ways to make your landscape more inviting, the pergola or gazebo are favorites. They provide shade, offer a place to entertain guests and give you a nice spot to enjoy a cold beverage outdoors.
The Pergola or Gazebo: The Answers to Hot Summer Weather
Benefits of a Gazebo
This free-standing structure can be of any size, shape, and nearly any location. Gazebos can be fully covered or partially roofed. They come with no walls or simply low walls thus offering you whatever level of privacy you may want. Other benefits include:
- A gazebo offers a quiet space for conversation or just chilling out.
- It can be used to host a long list of activities.
- May be designed as a kitchen area or a covered space for a hot tub.
- Adds value to your home.
- Can be used year-round.
- Makes a great focal point for your garden(s) or landscape design.
Benefits of a Pergola
Pergolas differ from a gazebo in that it has a more open roof. They are typically created by a framework of beams that are often attached to a home or other structure. They might also have pillars or latticework making them perfect for climbing plants. Flooring for a pergola can be brick, concrete pavers, or decking, depending on your style. Reasons for having a pergola built include:
- They can be built to match your architectural style and preference.
- A pergola provides a defined space for outdoor activities.
- They are affordable but have a big impact on your landscape’s aesthetics.
- You can extend your gardening area by hanging flower pots to the beams.
- You can dress them up easily by weaving cloth through the beams to create a specific atmosphere.
- They are low maintenance and durable.
- Although they do not have a solid roof, a pergola still provides a significant amount of shade.
- Adds as much as 20% to your home’s resale value.
So, have you looked around your landscape and found it lacking in entertainment areas? Maybe, you need a place to get out of the heat while still enjoying nature? If so, then a pergola or gazebo is a great place to start. They can be built according to the space available, and customized to suit your needs and style. More so, pergolas and gazebos are a practical use of space. They leave plenty of lawn space for games, gardening, or just grilling out with friends and family.
If you think that a pergola or gazebo is the perfect addition to your landscape, then don’t wait until the hot summer weather arrives! Contact the Outdoor Makeover & Living Spaces team today. We can assess your landscape and determine what will best work for your space.