Deciding on the perfect landscape design plan can seem overwhelming. It is even more challenging when you realize your Atlanta yard is a blank canvas that can be improved with features beyond plants. A few examples are custom walkways, fountains, patios and other structures. Additionally, a variety of outdoor lighting can be incorporated.
If just reading this brief list of possibilities makes you stress, then you are not alone! Outdoor Makeover & Living Spaces are experts at landscape design projects. Our experts put together some do’s and don’ts that should be considered when starting your landscape design project.
What You Should Do During A Landscape Design Project:
- Determine your budget before you begin. You don’t want to be mid-project and need to stop! Creating a clear budget prevents any incomplete projects.
- Think about your yard and how you envision it using it. Do you think you will be doing some outdoor entertaining? An outdoor kitchen or fully functional patio with built-in grill should be included. Need a place for relaxing? Consider a water feature with comfortable seating. Whether it is a place for the kids to play or a quiet spot to relax, be sure to include these features when creating your landscape design plan.
- Take time to sketch out some ideas of what you see your yard looking like. Keep in mind that the best landscape designs don’t always follow a straight line! The sketch doesn’t have to be perfect, just a rough idea to help you include the desired features.
- Remember that you can do landscape design projects in stages. This is where having a basic layout in mind can help you determine priorities and where to spend your money. By doing this, you can plan multiple phases of your project.
- Do keep in mind that it’s better to invest in small sizes of fast-growing plants. This is so you can spend more on larger, slow growing plants with a longer lasting impact.
- Think about how much time you are willing to invest on your landscape maintenance. Once your landscape is in place, you will have to maintain it. Considering the maintenance early on will prevent any future issues with your landscape upkeep.
- Peruse the designs and styles of other neighbor’s yards and note what appears to work (or not). Also, always be sure to check if there are any requirements for your HOA.
What Not to Do When Starting Your Landscape Design Project:
- Don’t forget about each of the different seasons. Be sure to choose plants that will provide color and style for as much of each season as possible.
- Don’t be afraid to remove older plants that are dying or overgrown. This will help the ground and soil recover. Old or overgrown plants take nutrients from the soil. As a result, this prevents new or desired plants from thriving.
- Don’t get caught up in trends. Choose design elements that compliment your home, not compete with it.
- Don’t chose furniture or other elements requiring an excessive amount of maintenance! The point of landscape design is to help you relax as often as possible. The last thing you want is to spend time constantly cleaning or adjusting furniture.
- Don’t overlook the value of water features, outdoor lighting, and other decorative features. Each of these options help add an atmosphere of relaxation and a piece of character to your home.
By keeping each of these do’s and don’ts in mind, you can ensure a satisfying home landscape project. If you are ready to kick off your landscape design project, contact us today. Outdoor Makeover & Living Spaces is a family-owned and -operated landscape design company in Atlanta, GA.