Summer in Georgia can be brutal on a landscape. From the intense heat to the not uncommon drought conditions, keeping a lush summer landscape can be difficult. However, there are a number of things you can do to ensure that your Atlanta landscape looks inviting.
Summer Landscape TLC
· Trim – Take a walk around your landscape and note any shrubbery, trees or vines that have become unruly. Then, pull out the garden shears and trimmers and cut back any excessive growth. Not only will this make your yard look better, but it will help the plants be healthier.
· Trellis – Do you have vines near your house? Consider adding a trellis. Trellis come in a variety of sizes and styles, or you might want to have a custom design that suites your style. Either way, a trellis can keep the beauty of vines without risk of your landscape being overtaken or damaging your home’s foundation.
· Driveway Dress Up – Often, the driveway area gets overlooked. Consider lining it with a colorful flower garden, or shrubbery to add a soft yet finished appearance. Another great way to spruce up your driveway is to install driveway lighting!
· Water – We all know how quickly a water shortage can occur in Georgia. If you have an irrigation system, be sure that it is set for optimum times such as early morning or late evening. Also, ensure that it won’t turn on, after, or during a rain to prevent overwatering.
· Pay Attention – Because summer sun and harsh weather can be damaging to your plants, be sure to periodically peruse your yard. Bolster struggling plants where needed, while removing those plants that may have died.
· Weed – It often seems as though the weeds thrive, while the wanted plants can barely survive. Be vigilant in your weeding or let us do it! Proper weeding can get rid of unwanted plants that are pulling nutrients away from the desired plants.
· Fertilize – Give your summer landscape a boost, by spreading a layer of fertilizer. This will help trap in moisture and protect it from the sun’s harsh rays.
· Plant Tropical Bulbs – Consider plants such as caladiums, elephant ears, cannas and gingers. These plants thrive in high heat and provide a beautiful garden area.
· Aquatics – Consider adding in a water feature. This will not only add curb appeal but provides a place for you to unwind. It also gives area wildlife a place to hangout, which means everyone wins.
· Be Personal – Don’t forget to show off your style! Be sure your landscape includes a structure such as a pergola, gazebo, or shaded area. Outdoor entertainment spaces, such as a pool bring, bring fun design elements and seating for staying cool this Summer!
You don’t have to be a master landscaper or have a perpetual green thumb to have a beautiful lawn. Instead, contact our team at Outdoor Makeover & Living Spaces. Our landscape experts will work with you to create and maintain a beautiful landscape for summer and beyond!